Dr. David I. Orenstein currently serves as Department Chairperson and full professor at Medgar Evers College (MEC) of the City University of New York. Orenstein serves as Chief Librarian at MEC; he also teaches anthropology and is a secular humanist activist. Orenstein also is active in the fair and equal pay rights of library workers.
In May 2011, Orenstein began to publish his blog under the name "paleolibrarian." The website paleolibrarian.info focuses on three points of interest and which are broadly described as focusing on human origins, science and free-thought issues..
Since 2011, more than 500,000 visitors have come to read Orenstein's blog, whose original articles and guest authors have published works which meet both the letter and spirit of the site and which serves as a portal for the non-belief community.
Orenstein has co-authored a book with Linda Ford Blaikie entitled Godless Grace: How Non-believers are Making the World Safer, Richer and Kinder The book will be published late in 2014 by The Humanist Press with a foreword by sociologist and author, Dr. Phil Zuckerman and epilogue by David Silverman, President of American Atheists, Inc.
Selected Media appearances
- December 2012 - Atheist Viewpoint - American Atheist Cable Program
- November 2013 - Educationally Speaking - WRNJ Radio - Higher Education Commentator
Selected articles in print
- "Ignorance Isn't Bliss: Why Darwin's Natural Selection Matters More Than Ever." American Atheist Magazine. 52(2).
- "Secularism's Pope: A Misleading Misunderstanding." American Atheist Magazine 52(1).
- "Filtering Access to Internet Content at Higher Education Institutions" Dissertation Abstracts (database)
- "Successful Library Marketing: A Road Map to Strategically Planning Library Service." Journal of Library Administration & Management 2(1).
- "Fair Pay is an Issue for Managers, Too." Library Journal (April 2003).
- "Being in the Library Business: an Entrepreneurship Primer for Library Administrators." Library Administration and Management (SP 2002).
- "Developing Quality Managers and Quality Management: The Challenge to Leadership in Library Organizations." Library Administration and Management. 13(1)
Activism and Notable Speaking Engagements
June 2014 - Montana Secular Humanist Society Summit - Helena, MT. (Keynote speaker)
March 2014 - Godless Revival - New York City. (Keynote speaker)
February 2014 - Secular Humanist Society of New York - New York City. (Keynote speaker)
July 2013 - Humanist Fellowship of San Diego - San Diego, CA. (Keynote speaker)
June 2012 - Philadelphia Freethought Society- Philadelphia, PA. (Keynote speaker)
April 2012 - Philippine Atheists and Agnostics Society (PATAS) - Manila, Philippines. (Presenter)
- Template:Cite press release
- http://vimeo.com/85376987 Template:Verify credibility
- http://vimeo.com/87614116 Template:Verify credibility
- Template:Cite webTemplate:Verify credibility
- Template:Cite web
- http://vimeo.com/59166840 Template:Rs
- Template:Cite web